Life isn’t about waiting for the storm to pass… It’s about learning to dance in the rain. – Anonymous, more recently attributed to Vivian Greene

Why is it that kids seem to get the idea, and adults shy away?

Why is it that kids seem to get the idea, and adults shy away from doing it?

What does that mean?
This quote is about living our lives, not simply waiting around for a good time to start. Too many people wait for the right moment before starting to live their life. To me, that’s just too much wasted time.

The quote starts by saying what life is not. It is not about waiting. It is not about avoiding the storm. And it is most definitely not about waiting for the storm to pass.

Waiting just allows time to pass. What gets done while you wait? Time has gone by, and you have nothing to show for it.

The quote concludes by saying that life is about learning to dance in the rain. It’s about learning to live with, and even enjoy the inevitable storms of life. Sing or dance, enjoy your life, no matter what the weather might be.

We all will face storms in our lives. It is up to us to determine how we will respond to these disruptions. Will we hide inside, waiting for it to pass, or will we continue with our lives, enjoying even the roughest of weather? It is our choice.

Why is not waiting important?
Whether you call it waiting, procrastinating, or just wasting time, what is happening is… nothing. However, time isn’t standing still, is it? It, like your life, is moving forward. If you are just waiting, you are really drifting while you wait. What will that gain for you?

Another problem with waiting is that it can be much harder to learn when you aren’t doing anything. I differentiate between doing nothing and cerebral exercises, such as reading or planning. One can learn and do, even if you aren’t out dancing.

Yet, eventually, we must take action. Sometimes there is no possible way to do anything without getting wet. That is when we must learn to dance in the rain. Or to do whatever we need to get done.Rain or shine, life must go on.

The implication of dancing is that we are enjoying it. If you have to do something, the least you could do is learn how to enjoy doing it. Even if it might be the best time, or perfect weather, we still must do, so let’s have some fun while we’re doing it, right?

Where can I apply this in my life?
We all go through rough weather at various points in our lives. Sometimes we sit down, to wait for the storm to pass, and then forget to get back up. Take a moment to consider where in your life you might have paused for a break in the weather, and never gotten back to it.

What about the storms presently in your life? They are the things which this quote is specifically focused. Take a moment to consider what, where, and how severe are your storms at this moment in time.

Are there storms in your family life? Are there storms with or between your friends? Are there storms at work, between co-workers, or even between your company and the customer? What about your social groups, are there any storms there? Weather can come up fast from any direction, can’t it?

But the question remains, what will you do? It’s easier to restart the things placed on hold due to rough weather, once the weather is passed. But what about things which you have put on hold where the weather is still less than great?

Are you going to get back to it? Are you going to learn to dance in the rain? Are you going to learn to enjoy the extra challenge? Will you revel in the chance to see if you are good enough to make it happen despite the weather? At least for some of them?

If you choose to wait for the storm to pass, what are you missing? Are there opportunities slipping by? Are there people to meet, whom you will not be able to meet because you aren’t out there? Yes, there are costs to waiting, just like there are costs associated with dancing in the rain.

How many of those storms are you hiding from? While we all have our reasons or excuses, in the end, we either are doing things in the weather or we are not. That is our choice; to do or to do not. It is also our choice to enjoy it or to be miserable. Which will you choose, dancing in the rain, or waiting?

From: Twitter, @Epic_Women
confirmed at : http://www.goodreads.com/quotes/132836-life-isn-t-about-waiting-for-the-storm-to-pass-it-s-about
Photo by Michael Zimmer

, , , ,

21 Responses to Life isn’t about waiting for the storm to pass… It’s about learning to dance in the rain.

1. ammiep 31 July 2013 at 2:52 pm #

Reblogged this on Ammie's Space and commented:
    haay..

2. Socrates (just joking) 17 October 2013 at 6:55 am #

What is to live our lives?

• philosiblog 19 October 2013 at 2:49 am #

I’m not sure I understand the question. Please rephrase or extend.

3. jackie 2 December 2013 at 9:15 am #

how to responds to the wet?

• philosiblog 4 December 2013 at 7:32 am #

Exactly. You don’t always get dry, sunny days. Sometimes you have to be able to do what you have to do in the wet.

Thanks for stopping by, and for leaving a comment.

4. Suvi 9 December 2013 at 8:32 pm #

I’m so glad that I found this blog! This is the very first blog I really enjoyed. These words made me realize to live my life täysillä as we say here in Finland. I will keep on reading your texts step by step because they give me so much to think about. Thank you!

• philosiblog 13 December 2013 at 3:50 am #

Thanks for the kind words. I’m glad you found the post of some use. There are plenty of posts here, over a thousand now, so feel free to dig around. 8)

I believe we all can improve, and should improve. And that improving is like a moving target. As you get better, you find better ways to improve yourself.

5. Seagypsy 13 January 2014 at 8:50 pm #

It’s a beautiful saying. I’ve had so much tragedy in my life that I find myself frozen and barely breathing waiting for the trauma to pass before I live. I am now learning to dance in the rain at the same time my soul aches. That folks is a dance in the right direction!!

• philosiblog 14 January 2014 at 5:33 am #

Thank you for sharing that. Stay strong!

6. Swasti 8 March 2014 at 6:14 pm #

philosblog inspired me so much
    it taught me life is an adventure worthwhile in itself
    i will embrace every moment now!

• philosiblog 10 March 2014 at 1:47 am #

You are very welcome. I’m glad you found the post to be of some use. Feel free to look around at some of the other posts, as I have over 1100 of them now. 8)

Thanks for stopping by, and for leaving such a kind comment.

7. Flippa 10 April 2014 at 9:42 am #

My heart is aching, and the memory of good days just pass by my eyes like a wide blue strip of mighty sky and some fluffy white clouds in the background. The sun is as golden as always and shining down at us and the love in our hearts is breathtaking. But my heart is aching and my eyes are raining. I decide to start a dance in the rainy day of my eyes, it is possible yes but my heart stil aching..

• philosiblog 12 April 2014 at 4:40 am #

That was very pretty. Thanks for sharing it.

• Flippa 12 April 2014 at 12:06 pm #

Thanks for reading it you’re welcome :)

8. ladybird 29 July 2014 at 1:21 am #

love hurts all time :( why would some1 kiss you with passion walk out when brother shows up then 1 who kissed me asked me something after the kiss but it was a party so loud music could not hear him we been trying dates on of each year but never seem to happen there was always something in the way this year i got a kiss and now its a big blur again sorry bout spelling hope

• philosiblog 30 July 2014 at 4:56 am #

People can be very difficult to predict. Think about what you want in a lover, then figure out where someone like that would be found.

Talking at parties is always difficult. Find a hallway or a room or step outside so you can hear better.

Stay strong. You deserve the best. They will find you, or you will find them, eventually.

• ladybird 30 July 2014 at 5:26 pm #

thank
        you

• philosiblog 31 July 2014 at 3:58 am #

You are most welcome. Please stop by again, it was nice to hear from you.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Life isn’t about waiting for the storm to pass… It’s about learning to dance in the rain. | mkangsy - 1 August 2013

2. LIFE ISN’T ABOUT WAITING FOR THE STORM TO PASS. IT’S ABOUT LEARNING TO DANCE IN THE RAIN. | Sally's Serenity Spot - 3 September 2013

[…] Life isn’t about waiting for the storm to pass… It’s about learning to dance in th… (philosiblog.com) […]

3. 26 Rainy Day Activities for Kids | My Kids' Adventures - 1 April 2014

[…] Vivian Greene once said that “life isn’t about waiting for the storm to pass, it’s about learning to dance in the rain,” and we […]