My Internet is broken…

In switching to new Internet service, my router died. I am almost back to functional, but not quite. After 8 hours of reconfiguring the entire home network, I’m going to bed.

I will do what is necessary to be back to normal by tomorrow. Period. Even if it means e-mailing the post to my phone and posting it from there.

Thanks for hanging around, and tomorrow there will be actual content in the post!

6 Responses to My Internet is broken…

1. Teepee12 17 September 2013 at 3:25 am #

Been there. It will be okay. Sleep and remember to breathe.

• philosiblog 17 September 2013 at 5:25 am #

Yep, I’m still OK, and still breathing. I know what you meant, but it was too good to let pass.

2. tivrfoa 16 September 2013 at 10:48 pm #

8 hours?! why did it take so long? =)

• philosiblog 17 September 2013 at 5:24 am #

Well, it took about four hours to convince myself that the router was, indeed, dying. It would work for a little bit, then stop. It had been working for years, and I just added a new modem, so that was the most likely culprit.

Then I changed out for another router we had, but that was having other issues. That ate another hour or so.

That left me short on options, so I spent some time thinking, and eventually devised a method of re-routing all the wired connections and changing to the modem’s wifi (instead of the wifi in the router). Then it took about two more hours to re-route the wires and get the IP addresses set to DHCP (many had been hard-numbered) and set the wifi passwords on all the mobile devices.

I still have to update the repeater, which should keep the old wifi numbers for the TV’s and the Wii, yet still forward the packets to the new network. Or so I hope, it’s a sad little repeater, and I don’t know if it has that much capability (transferring between a pair of class C networks). If not, I’ll have to change the class C network for the on the modem to match the old router, so that everything plays nice.

Basically, I’m trying to shoehorn a new solution into an old, cobbled together system, to minimize the amount of work I have to do, instead of doing a clean-sheet design using the tools and equipment presently available, which always takes longer, but it’s more fun this way.

• tivrfoa 17 September 2013 at 12:06 pm #

wow. a complex network for a home (or maybe my is too simple, only the notebook =). x tvs, y mobile phones, z pcs … hehe
        one quote with network xD
        “Call it a clan, call it a network, call it a tribe, call it a family: Whatever you call it, whoever you are, you need one.” Jane Howard

• philosiblog 18 September 2013 at 2:54 am #

Yeah, well, I am an engineer, and a software guy who has had an IBM PC since before the PC/AT was invented. I’ve managed large clusters of Linux boxes on a factory floor, including setting up some of the boxes to run two network cards, so as to isolate test equipment from the backbone, so I have a little familiarity with the concepts. 8)

Why make something simple when you can make it complex and WONDERFUL!?!?!?!?!?!!?

Powered by WordPress. Designed by Woo Themes

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox

Join other followers: